Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

KELLOUGH Chapter 7: Assessing and Reporting Student Achievement

You need to Buck the system!

As a parent and an educator I had been involved in multiple student project based learning and problem based learning experiences, but it wasn't until I was novice-teaching that I recognized the challenge with constructing valid rubrics for grading student performance.  I discovered a resource online that helped organize my process and provided me with assessment tools that I could adapt to my lessons. The Buck Institute for Education (BIE) is a not-for-profit organization that focuses on project based learning through professional development workshops, but many of their materials are "FreeBIEs" - such as planning forms, student handouts, rubrics, and articles for educators to download and use to design, assess, and manage projects.  My cooperating teacher even asked that I bookmark the site on her computer so she would have it after my placement ended.

1 comment:

  1. Amy Truchon: Lynette, that website will come in very handy! Thank you for posting it. I agree with you on how great novice teaching was to help get you into the "flow of teaching". I too was able to fine-tune my assessment skills during that time. The amount of assessment varieties is almost overwhelming, but I think this website will really help with deciding how to assess and the questions to ask or projects to form.

    ReplyDelete