Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

KELLOUGH Chapter 3: Thinking and Questioning: Skills for Meaningful Learning

If the lion thinks that "I am so powerful animal, king of the forest. Why shall I work?"

Therefore, it is said that if he does not work, then he'll have to starve. Even though he's a lion. Because he may be lion, but if he sleeps, that "I am king. Let me sleep and my food will come automatically in my mouth," that is not possible.  Attributed to the Bhagavad Gita


Questions immediately change what students are focusing on.  A riddle can be used as a way of teaching, because it involves students as individuals and as a class, stimulating them to learn and search for answers (Richard Altork).  In my Intervention class, I focused the students each day with a riddle designed for a rational argument.  One such riddle was:
In order to leave a haunted house, a man must exit through one of three rooms. The first is full of zombies, the second is full of ninjas, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in three years. Which room is the safest way out?
A student who is not engaged is like a sleeping lion hence the benefits of this "direct teaching for thinking and intelligent behavior" were: 1)  students developing the ability to think logically, 2) improved classroom behaviors and student organization, 3) increased classroom participation by all students, and 4) increased rapport with students learning English as a second language.

No comments:

Post a Comment