Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Happy Election Day!


Election Day For Students:
 'Vote For Me Until I Can'
In a push to encourage voter turnout, Manhattan Country School's 5- and 6-year-olds are asking you to "Vote for Me Until I Can."
"I would like to bring about a change, but I'm too young to play the voting game. Won't somebody hear my plea and go to the polls and vote for me?" the students sing. "Mommy, daddy, take a stand. Vote for me until I can. Sister, brother, take my hand. Vote for me until I can. College students, woman or man, vote for me until I can."
The students' video comes as state officials are hoping voter turnout won't be negatively affected by relocated voting sites resulting from Superstorm Sandy. The New York school teaches its young students the importance of voting, student activism and participation in democracy, according to a school statement.
The video, filmed in the students' music class, was taken as part of the Odyssey Initiative, a project led by three educators that seek innovative educational practices across the country in anticipation of launching a school based on those effective models.

No comments:

Post a Comment